Friday, November 16, 2012

Clepsydra

[NOTE: A clepsydra was an ancient device made of wooden
bowls with holes placed in water and used in the ancient Greek
temples/brothels of Aphrodite to keep time.]

  
Pale Hellenic beauty veiling
her ashen soul, lolling in licentious gaze
through almond eyes of coal.

Raven hair splayed on an ivory pillow,
through a scarlet mouth she hums
my name as softly as Luna's glow.

Reclining under silken sheets
partially concealing small round breasts,
she smiled--genuinely or submissively?

I hungered, then anxiously ate
the wild grapes, dried dates and
licked the honey from her breath.

Aphrodisiacs each, these treats
peddled by salvation-vendors
on the Corinthian agora.

Her waist, lean as the oblique Peloponnese
called my nomadic palms
to a supple Grecian feast.

Yes, you are the Goddess of love,
dissolving the faith of once strong men.

Moans, frankincense and pulse mingled
in a swirling coil above her altar,
gathering like an amorphous cloud
beneath the chiffon canopy.

I gave only adoration to this Cyprian deity,
aflame with approval. It wasn’t long before she exhaled
her musky oracle, and the scent signaled the Gods.

Her  hollow chalice was filling, yet forever
releasing endless libations. Insatiably I sipped
from her salacious Grail, preferring pleasure
to the celibate grace proffered at the Basilica.

Then, the clepsydra dropped, as did my soul.
Time completed, communion consumed,
my countenance now ashen as hers.

I had entered a finite man,
and now knew the desire for the Eternal.

end/Michael Bogar

No comments:

Post a Comment